What Makes a Good Manager ?
What Makes a Good Manager ?
What makes a Good Manager
Good managers are essential to any successful organisation. An exceptionally good manager achieves a hard working, productive and effective workforce that punches above its weight in its performance.
Good managers attract exceptional staff; they make the organisation a preferred employer; they help to increase market share; add to profits and surpluses, and reduce costs. Their staff are engaged, committed and ‘go the extra mile’.
Managers, however, dance on a fault line - they either have the behaviours that inspire followers to do what they otherwise may not be willing to do, and without creating any psychological distress, or they do not and the costs will escalate and ripple for a long time
The MAS Manager's Code
The MAS Codes of Conduct for Management Practice will help managers to create the context in which staff thrive, are engaged with their organisation, are energised to contribute, derive personal and professional fulfilment and perform at their optimum.
Click here to download the MAS Managers Code from our Article Library to help turn your managers into exceptional managers.
So what makes a good manager?
A key to successful management is the relationship between the manager and his or her staff. It’s the manner in which managers manage people that separates the ordinary from the good and the exceptional.
Good relationships are based on trust, commitment and engagement, and a good manager’s essential role is to build these relationships for the benefit of the organisation, so that the tasks that are set are completed with enthusiasm, effectively, on time and with the energy to do more.
Are you a good manager?
Why not test your skills and try our Quick Leadership Questionnaire in our Questionnaires section.
What are the attributes of a good manager?
A good manager is good at managing people, they ...
- coach their staff and counsel those who need it
- have staff who are commitment to them
- seek response and feedback to all communications with staff
- know how to resolve conflicts as they arise and handle negative behaviour effectively
- delegate wherever possible
- actively like to develop, empower and motivate staff and manage under performers
- take the lead
- raise staff morale and are concerned for staff wellbeing
- are conscious of the psychological contract
- enjoy managing the boss
- set clear and unambiguous objectives and discuss them with staff before setting them
- performance manage staff and provide feedback on performance
- engage in selection interviewing
- manage teams
- value everyone’s contribution
A good manager is good at managing activities, they ...
- manage change effectively
- seek continuous improvement
- control and co-ordinate staff effectively
- engage in and enjoy crisis management
- influence the culture of teams
- focus on customers/clients and know how to improve business performance
- conduct meetings efficiently
- are good at planning and organising themselves
- are good at both strategic and project management
- are good at risk management and can manage stress in staff
A good manager is good at managing and developing themselves, they ...
- achieve good results
- are assertive and communicate well
- are clear thinkers and effective speakers who are good at influencing others
- are decisive, good at negotiation and problem solving
- write good reports
- excel at time management
- spend time in self‐development
What makes a good manager? Programme
MAS related publications
Call us now on 01242 241882 for further information and to discuss how our management development programmes can help your organisation or email us
Sending your request. Please wait...
Thanks for subscribing to or email Newsletter,
we hope you will find them informative.
Dont forget you can unsubscribe at any time.
There was a problem sending your email detail. Please try again.
Please enter a valid email before sending.
Safety and Health Expo
Excel 20- 22 June
20 June - Derek taking part in panel debate on Challenges of lone working
22nd June - Derek keynote speaker on:
Preventing stress and strengthening the resilience of the lone worker
NHS Foundation Trust Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber
Nursing into the future - learning and preparing
30th June 2017
Derek speaking on Psychological Responsibility
NHS Wales - Workforce transformation workshop
16 March 2017
Derek speaking on psychological wellbeing and performance
Health and Wellbeing Exhibition
7/8 March 2017