Managing people - criteria for successful management
Good managers attract exceptional staff; they make the organisation a preferred employer; they help to increase market share and enhance profitability; they reduce costs. Their staff are engaged, committed and ‘go the extra mile’. They are able to persuade the workforce to do things they might otherwise not do without causing a hint of psychological distress
Criteria for hugely successful management:
- Promote a Positive Work Culture.
- Promote commitment, trust and engagement between them and their workforce.
- Maintain strong psychological contracts with their workforce.
- Manage staff to achieve high level performance whilst ensuring their personal wellbeing.
- Ability to adapt behaviour to respond to crisis without creating psychological distress in the workforce.
Interested in Management and Leadership? See Prof Mowbrays Guide to Adaptive Leadership
Managing people - essential skill of managers
The key behaviours needed are:
These behaviours will:
- Reduce costs due to psychological distress at work
- Reduce costs associated with presenteeism
- Improve innovation
- Improve staff engagement
- Increase productivity and performance
- Reduce staff turnover
- Achieve organisational targets and aims with minimum costs
- Improve team working
See also our Managers Codes of Conduct.
Management Development for Managers
MAS programmes and services provide managers with the behaviour skills to engage their workforce, reduce stress, and achieve great success at work. Read more about our seminars in our Management Development Training section.
Our cognitive coaching, learning sets and facilitation service
We provide services to support managers on an individual and small group basis that are aimed at helping managers embed behaviours that produce a high performing business and service. Read more about our support services.
Need more information?
We also have articles and white papers on positive manager behaviours in our article library.
Find out if you exhibit the behaviours required to achieve commitment, trust and engagement. Try out our online Behaviour Assessment Questionnaire.
Alchemy for Managers
Alchemy Management guides provide immediate and practical guidance on everyday management challenges. To see for yourself, sign up for a 30 day free trial.